Proactive Genetic Screening
Proactive Genetic Screening gives results that are medically actionable. Using a blood or saliva sample, this testing provides you with an understanding of your risks for hereditary cancers, cardiovascular disease and other health conditions. The results of this testing allow your healthcare team to take proactive next steps to best manage your health – all with the guidance of a certified genetic counsellor.
Proactive Genetic Screening offers you:
- DNA analysis to determine if you’re at an increased risk for 45 inherited health conditions
- In-person consultation with a genetic counsellor before and after testing
- Preventive next steps to reduce your disease impact, and facilitation of care for positive results (such as additional testing or screening, and referrals to specialists for ongoing management)
View Fact Sheet – Proactive Genetic Screening
Late-onset Alzheimer’s Genetic Testing
Late-onset Alzheimer’s disease (diagnosed after age 60) is multifactorial, meaning it is caused by a combination of co-existing factors including age, genetic markers, environmental modifiers, the presence of other health conditions, and lifestyle choices. Testing for a gene called APOE can determine whether you have an increased risk for this condition.
Studies suggest that heart-healthy choices, regular exercise, and staying socially and mentally active as we age help to reduce our risk for Alzheimer’s disease. Studies also show that these preventative strategies are effective, and perhaps even more impactful, for those with a higher genetic risk (i.e. those who carry high-risk variants of the APOE gene).
Late-onset Alzheimer’s Genetic Testing offers you:
- Consultation with a genetic counsellor before and after testing
- Review of family history as well as benefits and limitations of genetic testing for Alzheimer’s disease
- DNA analysis of the APOE gene and a customized report
- Preventative next steps to reduce disease impact and facilitation of referrals, if indicated
Note: This testing is not intended to be used for diagnostic purposes.
Genetic Family Risk Assessment
Knowing your personal and family health history can provide helpful clues when assessing your risk for disease.
The Genetic Family Risk Assessment is a counselling session that provides you with:
- A review of risks for genetic disease faced by you and your family members
- A risk assessment for rare and common diseases that may be showing a higher than average prevalence in your family
- An understanding of how lifestyle and environment can interact with genetic factors to influence your health and health risks
- A personalized plan for genetic testing to further identify health risks, if appropriate